HoloNet Links #155
Earlier this week a friend was in a traffic accident and lost his life. I struggled whether to mention it or not, but I got to thinking about him and his energy. He was always positive. It brought to mind a quote from Yoda:
For my ally is the Force – and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. – Yoda
We are “luminous” beings. I know my friend showed this through his smile and willingness to help anyone. This is not meant to be sad, but remembering a happy soul, a friend.
Update 2.9 coming to the PTS, dev notes, & more after the Jump…
It has been awhile since we had a lot of news to share. Well, the wait is over! BioWare has posted several bits of news over the past few days. First, Lead writer Charles Boyd posted a brief teaser about story in 2014. It also had a screenshot, which you can see later in the article. Who is the Wookiee, and what about the droid head around his neck?
Here is the blog posted by Charles. You can read how the new Manaan Flashpoint will add another part of the ongoing story, which will lead up to the biggest story expansion since Rise of the Hutt Cartel.
What do you make of the cryptic screenshot? I made a couple of observations when I closely looked at the picture. One, the droid’s eyes appear to be lit up, meaning the droid is powered up? There are apparently two cords connect to the armor on the Wookiee. Could it be this Gree like droid speaks for the Wookiee?
- Update 2.9 is coming to PTS
Secondly, on the news front, we found out Galactic Strongholds will be coming to the Public Test Server. The current plan is to have Galactic Strongholds available to download on July 25th, 2014 sometime in the afternoon. What will be added from Update 2.9? For starters, BioWare will have all four strongholds for players to test and understand more about how decorating works.
Oh, and there is more, the other thing announced on the live stream was the details on the new tactical flashpoint. The newest flashpoint has players visiting the planet of Manaan. The planet, made of almost entirely water.
I am looking forward to testing out Galactic Strongholds and the new Tactical Flashpoint on the PTS. What aspects of the current testing are you excited to help test? Is there something not mentioned? I urge you all to go download the update for the PTS and help find those bugs! Below is a post by Tait Watson announcing Update 2.9 coming to the PTS and a link to the PTS forum threads.
The highly anticipated PTS release of Game Update 2.9 is rolling out tomorrow afternoon!
You are able to copy characters over now in anticipation, as well as view the Patch Notes, Known Issues, and other information in the PTS Forum.
- Dev notes
TaitWatsonGame Update 2.9: Galactic Strongholds Early Access PTS Patch Notes | 07.24.2014, 12:46 PM
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ PTS
Game Update 2.9: Galactic Strongholds Early Access
Last Updated: July 24, 2014
All content and features on the Public Test Server are not final and are subject to change.
Galactic Strongholds Subscriber Early Access! Subscribers who have reached level 15 can now purchase a Galactic Stronghold on Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Dromund Kaas, and Coruscant by visiting the Stronghold Directory on the Fleet or on the Stronghold’s planet.
New Flashpoint: Depths of Manaan! Continue the Forged Alliances storyline with a new Level 55 Tactical Flashpoint set on the water-covered planet of Manaan.
- The GSI Satellite Support Service is now in open beta testing on Makeb. Once registered with the GSI support satellites, GSI will track your every move and provide you with the following support services:[line]
- Gear is now bolstered to a 156 rating while on Makeb, increasing all stats!
- When combat is detected, a Medical Probe will be deployed to administer long-lasting, refreshing Kolto, healing you for 2% every 3 seconds while you remain in combat.
- There is now a 250% boost to exploration Experience while on Makeb.[/line]
- Pets now occasionally make noises.
- Galactic Strongholds on Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Dromund Kaas and Coruscant are now available to players who have reached Level 15 and have enough credits to purchase the Stronghold.
- Strongholds can be purchased by going to the Stronghold Directory on either Fleet or on the respective Stronghold planet.
- An introductory Mission that grants a set of starter Decorations is offered by the Stronghold Commissioner, who can be found on either Fleet or on either Capital planet.
- Guildmasters can purchase a Guild Headquarters at any Stronghold Directory. This purchase requires a Guild Bank with enough credits. (PTS prices are not final.)
- New Schematics are available on all Crew Skill trainers:
- Industrial Prefabs can be crafted by Armormechs, Armstechs, and Cybertechs.
- Synthetic Prefabs can be crafted by Artificers, Biochems, Synthweavers.
- Universal Prefabs can be crafted by any profession.
- Prefabs are divided into three tiers: MK-1, MK-2, and MK-3.
- Prefabs may be exchanged at the Fabricator Droids in the Strongholds & Crew Skills quadrant of either Fleet for a wide variety of Decorations.
- Decorations now drop from every Flashpoint and Operation.
- Many Flashpoint and Operation Achievements now provide special Trophy Decorations that can be placed on the walls of your Stronghold. You can view them in the Achievement Reward Window. These Decorations will be automatically unlocked when the Achievement is earned. You can also you can right-click the item icon to unlock it once the Achievement is earned.
- Decorations may be purchased for Warzone Commendations and Fleet Commendations at the Starfighter & PvP Decorations Vendor on either Fleet.
Missions + NPCs
- The density of enemies on Makeb has been reduced.
- Group scaling has been removed from the following Missions, and the difficulty of the boss encounter no longer scales based on the number of players in the group:
- Stealing Thunder (Imperial)
- Revenge of the Archon (Imperial)
- Hitting the Hutts (Republic)
- Taking on Toborro (Republic)
Besides all the new content to test, I am eager to look into the GSI Satellite Support Service. This is an interesting way to utilize a reputation group in-game. This could be something added to other groups. If your Legacy has so much rep with a group you gain some type of benefit. That would make the reputation grind worth more than just ability to purchase some items or gain new titles. A true benefit, if only for a confined area makes for a unique game mechanic.
What is something in the patch notes that stands out to you? Let us know in the comment section below.
Star Wars Community News & Events
- Corellian Run Radio’s Weekly Nav Coordinates
While you read through any of the articles or listen to the podcast below, we encourage you to take a moment and submit your feedback and suggestions in the comment sections. We love to hear from you. Thanks again for your support and for following the site, enjoy the links below! If you are interested in joining the writing staff at Corellian Run Radio, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
07/22 Episode 122: Cake, Manaan & SWTOR Mm… – podcast
07/18 HoloNet Links #154 by Jason Taylor
Would you like to write an article, create a video guide or maybe you have another idea altogether? All you need to do is send us an email with your idea and a small writing sample to explain your skills and why you want to help out at Corellian Run Radio. Submit your ideas, a bit about yourself and a small writing sample to us at email@example.com.
- SWTOR music video
This week’s music video, “Mistakes,” is more a story/training video. Youtube user Cryshaelle has created a scenario between a level 55 Sith Sorceress and her droid “Acrid.” She is reviewing her fights and breaking down what went wrong. The relationship between her and the droid is intriguing. As they review more of her battle records, her “Mistakes” serve as a mental torture. Will she ever find comfort in her skill as a combatant? This video looks to be a great start to a much larger story arc. Check it out and let us know what you think.
If you have a particular link, story, video, or topic related to SWTOR we would love to hear about it! You can send those to us here at Corellian Run Radio and we can place it in a future article. Just email us the links and/or the details for the event at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can also leave any link suggestions in the comments below, or in Corellian Run Radio’s Facebook group. See you next week!