Meet and greet with Bioware was held last night, August 27th. After everyone got through the line to get into the Hyatt, the location for the meet & greet, the event started off with a Q&A session with several from the team helping bring Star Wars: The Old Republic to life. In attendance were, Blaine Christine, Cory Butler, Rich Vogel, Daniel Erickson, Gabe Amatangelo, Stephen Reid, David Bass and magically appearing, a bit into the event was James Ohlen.
More about what we found out in the Q&A after the Jump…
As many Q&A sessions go, there were some questions we already knew the answers, but others we found out some interesting information.
- Q: Any feature that caused a delay of release?
- Q: Lightsaber colors?
A: Daniel-We’ll be talking about that down the road…fans should be happy.
- Q: Testing weekends, based on pre-orders or anything else?
A: Can’t talk about that yet
- Q: Capital Ships or Trophies?
A: Not at launch, but on “Wall of Crazy”
- Daniel Erickson mentioned that they are working on adding mods to gear, similar to sockets.
- There will be no dye or coloring system for armor in place
- Rich Vogel mentioned about taking proactive steps to fight gold sellers. David Bass added they were not going to go into it or sellers will know.
- James Ohlen discussed gear. The best gear will be from operations, PVP gear will also be good, but more specialized for PVP. Crafted gear will be used and needed to get into operations.
- He also answered about faction changing. The main reason for not having it in the game, it would be too expensive to develop. One day they might figure out how to make it work efficiently.
- They talked about that just because you are Light side, does not mean you are a “Pollyanna.” An example, Qui Gon Jin gambled & lied…from a certain point of view (+100 cool points if you get the Star Wars reference)
- A player’s appearance changing, based on morality, is not currently in the game.
- Crafting bonuses for companions on the way out
- There is no threat meter in the game “currently.” In their words, “You have to feel it.”
- Guild banks are NOT in at launch. This is number one priority for after launch.
I know that there are some very disappointing topics there, and anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge “glass half full” guy. The two glaring ones are no guild banks and the color system for armor/clothing. I am relieved that the guild bank system is their number one priority after launch, but I am very confused why they would not have already had that in the game. The second one, for me, is the color/dye system not being in the game. My reason for wanting it, besides keeping myself looking “pimp,” is because this would give guilds a way to identify themselves. Currently, as far as I know, there is no guild identification, besides probably a floating guild name, above a player’s character. I know the customary tabard would not fit within the Star Wars universe. So what would work for guilds besides an emblem system or the coloring of player’s armor to match others in his or her guild?
What are your thoughts? Maybe more will be answered in today’s press conference and make all of this or most of it all mute point. Let us know in the comments below.